Counselling Psychologist And Psychotherapist
I’m an Indian Psychologist helping Indians residing abroad via in person, online and live counselling sessions. I have helped around more than 1000 individuals including Indians living abroad to overpower their day to day social, emotional, mental and psychological challenges. I believe in creative yet simple ways to bring out positive emotional, social and cognitive changes in people. In one sentence, encouraging positivity, self-care and mental health is my life’s passion.
My academic background and work experience is coloured with a wide range of work with multicultural population. I have worked in clinical, educational, organisational and counselling settings. I also have successful professional credentials in delivering the Tele-therapy and providing the psychological first aid during the pandemic times. I highly value providing a supportive, non judgemental and collaborative Safe Space for people who are going through a rough time in their lives.
My goal is to together create meaningful changes to your lives!
- Australian Counselling Association (18665)
- American Psychological Association (C2103178548)
- Counsellors Council of India (CRN5048039)
- PGD in Counselling & Psychotherapy – The University of Adelaide, Australia
- Masters in Psychology – The University of Delhi, India
- Bachelors (Hons) in Psychology – The University of Delhi, India
Areas Of Expertise
Over the years of practising, I know that there is no single approach or therapy is the right one for everyone, so I have been trained professionally as a Psychotherapist in the range of modalities. I use the tailor made approach to meet clients’ unique needs. My goal is to provide my clients the quickest relief possible by providing them person-centred approach and integrating the various evidence based therapy approaches.
My passion is assisting you to find your voice and tell your story in your own way. I use a client-centred approach, where you will build an understanding, draw on your strengths and work towards progressing your life to where you desire.
My experience and training assists individuals with a wide range of mental health issues, recognising and building their own strengths and capabilities to support their well-being. I employ a compassionate, authentic and empowering approach with my clients which includes children, adolescents, couples and families. My approach is integrative, tailored to fit you, evidence based and culturally competent. My specialities are:
Why Asian Psychologist (me)?
- One of the essential functions of a culture is to provide ways to relieve the suffering of its people. Since many forms of suffering, emotional distress, psychological stress are inevitably related to cultural patterns, patriarchal attitudes, the approach of healing also follow the culture’s characteristic value and beliefs.
- Asian culture influences how we understand ourselves which includes overall mental health and well-being. As Indians we love to live together in clusters and stay connected to our community but at times it becomes difficult when we try to explore ourselves and go on self journey.
- We as Indians aren’t bought up to share or articulate our emotions. Rather we have been conditioned to think about impacting the community with our right or wrong actions. For instance: others’ feelings are more important than our own and it’s considered rude or selfish to think about ourselves first. We are taught to buck up, carry the burden and sort out our issues by ourselves mostly in isolation. In majority, talking to a psychologist or psychotherapist is seen as a weakness.
- Working with a Indian Psychologist who shares your identity, can speak and understand Hindi, Punjabi and other dialects can not only help you to combat stigma but also to build up a stronger therapeutic relationship.
- Having a culturally competent therapist will allow you to fully express your feelings and emotions as I understand your personal beliefs, values and experience better. It helps to remove assumptions and judgements which makes it easier to connect and understand the language with your therapist. It’s one of the most effective and reliable ways to connect with someone who looks like you.